||JOB DESCRIPTION: The purpose of this position is to supervise correctional staff activities, determine operations, and assign duties to ensure staff and inmate security during an assigned shift. The work is performed under the supervision of the Assistant Director-Security/Operations.
- Directs correctional staff engaged in inmate supervision, observation, escort, transport, screening, booking, jail recordkeeping and building control tasks.
- Monitors shift operations and activities to ensure security and compliance with procedures and policies.
- Acts on employee and operational problems. Recommends and implements staff and inmate discipline.
- Recommends employee selection, transfer, promotion and discharge.
- Prepares work schedules and duty assignments. Monitors vacation and leave schedules.
- Reviews and approves incident reports, time sheets, daily logs, inmate complaint forms, inmate folders
and a variety of jail records.
- Plans shift activities.
- Prepares activity reports, employee performance appraisals, jail census reports, correspondence and
- Assists staff with inmate custody, control, supervision and other operational tasks. Investigates
disturbances and inmate criminal activity.
- Investigates employee misconduct and improprieties.
- Provides advice and counsel to subordinate staff.
- Participates in on-going training.
- Maintains knowledge of current corrections and personnel supervision principles, policies and
procedures; and law enforcement and criminal justice operations.
- May be required to work mandatory overtime on the same shift or a different shift other than assigned.
- Balances inmate accounts. Perform inmate account transactions (reviews receipts, prepares deposits,
release inmates’ funds at time of release).
- Conducts/attends pre-shift and other mandatory meetings.
- Escorts inmate and documents.
- If commissioned, may perform all commissioned peace officer tasks as they relate to the operation of the department.
||St. Charles County Department of Corrections will be conducting testing for the position of Sergeant. The testing process consists of a video exam and written exam. Candidates must pass both components of the exam to be considered for an interview. Candidates must also pass a criminal background investigation and a PREA (Prison Rape Elimination Act) check suitable for law enforcement, including a criminal record and drivers’ license check. Candidates are required to have a police record free of pending charges and felony convictions. Prior to final selection, candidates will be subject to pre-employment drug screening and psychological assessment.
EXAMINATION PROCESS AND INFORMATION
- The examination process measures the ability to supervise and manage staff in a correctional setting and consists of a video-based employee observation component, a series of written situational judgment questions specific to corrections, and an oral board interview.
- Applicants who pass the video and written tests, will be eligible to interview.
- Applicants must pass all components of the examination process to be considered for selection.
- Upon completion and submission of the Sergeant application, applicants will be notified by the St. Charles County Department of Corrections to schedule testing.
- Testing will be held in the St. Charles County Department of Corrections located at 301 N. Second Street, St. Charles, MO 63301.
- The testing process will take approximately 3 hours. - When arriving, please allow extra time for parking and check in.
- A valid driver’s license or I.D. must be presented at the time of testing.