Women working in Corrections>>what's your opinion?
...As a former new hire instructor/teacher my portion of the classes I taught were up front like Irish assasin. This frankness informs new hires what to expect, if you work in most correctional settings these experiences others are talking aboput are a universal truth to most extent. These horrers are going to happen sometime in the future. I have been stabbed fights all that, I also work in a local hospital security ( a trauma center) for the past 23 years p/t and the people working in the er deal with the horrors differently. Military personel deal with the PTSD differently...
Correctional Officers – Who’s in Charge? By Carl ToersBijns, former deputy warden, ASPC Eyman, Florence AZ
As a correctional officer there should be basic rules of understanding between you and the prisoner.
The first rule is to establish who is in charge. Although outnumbered sometimes two hundred to one, there are simple rules addressed to establish or claim a sense of dominance and authority role in this setting. How you deal with a prisoner is purely situational and must be quickly understood in the manner you deliver your message and knowledge of knowing the rules as well. This does not need to be a formal disciplinary session as most prisoners know the rules better than you thus its important that you set the foundation of your expectations, tolerance levels and who is in charge.
The second rule is what you will and what you wont tolerate...
Also this week:
- May – Education and Training – What's new, conference coverage [Please send your articles/stories to email@example.com]
Probation and Parole Officer - Misdemeanor Probation Technician - Ada County Sheriff's Office - Idaho
DUTY DESCRIPTION: Assists Misdemeanor Probation Officers with case management, preparing and maintaining probation case files and related documentation. Creates, searches, archives and otherwise manages probation records, and performs a variety of other administrative duties for Misdemeanor Probation. Reads and interprets documents to ensure a complete and accurate record is maintained; provides a positive customer service experience by greeting the public in a professional manner and providing information; and performs related duties as required. This position is located in Misdemeanor Probation.
full job posting
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: ...
- May 29 - June 1, 2013 – NAAWS 2013 Training Conference
- June 9-12, 2013 – MASCA Annual Conference and Training
- July 19 - 20, 2013 – NCCHC's Correctional Health Care Leadership Institute
- July 21 - 22, 2013 – NCCHC's Correctional Mental Health Care Conference
- July 24 - 26, 2013 – New York Gang Investigators Association - 2013 Annual Training Conference
- July 28 - 31, 2013 – APPA 38th Annual Training Institute - Baltimore
- August 9-14, 2013 – ACA's 143rd Congress of Correction
- Sept 9-12, 2013 – New England School of Best Practices in Addiction Treatment
- Oct 10-11, 2013 – Breakthrough Strategies to Work with At-Risk and Incarcerated Youth Workshop - Portland OR
- Oct 26-30, 2013 – National Conference on Correctional Health Care - Nashville TN
quote of the week
"You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough"
- Joe Louis