College Degree>>what's your opinion?
I have two college degrees and 5 years (and counting) experience as a Correctional Officer. I have interviewed for three different jobs within my prison. In two of those jobs the person(s) that were selected was not qualified for the jobs. The last interview I was in the Deputy Warden told me that “with your degrees you’ll go a long way in the department.” Then he and the other two interviewers picked the guy that made the political calls...
Education and TrainingTerry Campbell
We have an interesting topic this month: Education and Training. This is an important component to our career and one that often receives very little attention. We worked hard to pass the necessary tests to obtain employment and begin the training academy. However, our educational journey and training does not stop there. Did you ever stop to think that continuing your education and training would be an on-going process? Let’s begin by looking at a working definition for Education and Training...
Also this week:
Deputy Sheriff- Parole and Probation
The Marion County Sheriff's Office is currently recruiting for Deputy Sheriff – Parole and Probation. The Sheriff’s Office is building an ongoing eligibility list for current and future positions. Please have all results completed by September 22, 2014 to be considered for this round of hiring...
full job posting
- Sep 12, 2014 –Early Education and Treatment for Mental Health, Substance Use Are Essential for Saving Lives
- Sep 14-17, 2014 –International Community Corrections Association (ICCA) 22nd Annual International Research Conference
- Sep 25-27, 2014 – Midwestern Criminal Justice Association (MCJA) 2014 Annual Meeting
- Sep 28-Oct 01, 2014 – The 2014 Women Working in Corrections and Juvenile Justice National Conference
- Oct 05-08, 2014 – International Association of Correctional Training Personnel Annual Trainers' Conference
- Oct 09-10, 2014 – Breakthrough Strategies to Teach and Counsel Troubled and Incarcerated Youth
- Portland, OR
- Oct 18, 2014 – Building Unity: Saving Lives Restorative Justice Conference
- Oct 18-22, 2014 – National Conference on Correctional Health Care - Las Vegas, NV
- Nov 19-22, 2014 – American Society of Criminology (ASC) Annual Meeting
quote of the week
" Never cut what you can untie."
– Joseph Joubert