>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    

Jail and Crime Scenes

Subscribe to Jail and Crime Scenes 3 posts, 3 voices

Login to reply

Male user JLCurrier 1 post

I am CIU in AZCorrections, very well written that is exactly what we want to happen. Although, securing the wepon only if in extreme necessity, i.e. officer safety. Well done!

Female user azcorrections 7 posts

you have a crime scene..a shanking 2 man cell..the first officer initiates incident command system..they are in need of a supervisor, medical with a man down bag, and a strike team..i don’t know what type of language you use, but it should be plain english during emergency situations. all areas should be locked down..you are first on scene and have a visual of the injured inmate and the inmate that could have possibly stuck him, you give brief updates, your team shows up, the first responder will become your staging area manager…he will tape off the scene, document who comes in and or out..in reality no-one should except for medical..CIU should be notified (criminal investigative unit) once your team is ready to enter, give your inmate verbal directives to lay on the ground , with a visual of his hands, or if you have trap that opens direct him to back up to the door, and cuff up..once he is hooked up, remove him from the area, if you have a visual on a possible weapon used in the stabbing, remove it carefully and place it in a paper bag, to retain dna, blood, this will be used as evidence. it should be bagged and tagged and secured in an evidence locker. chain of custody is very important. allow medical to do a quick assement, and determine whether he needs to go to a hospital or not…during this time the officer that initiated will be giving brief updates, who were your responders , names,who were the shift commanders, who was your video operator, who entered the crime scene, have a polaroid, or digital camera take pictures of the area, inmate position, pics of injuries, wound locations,no-one really should be in that crime scene but medical..no-one enters the crime scene, until the criminal investigative unit releases it… although the first officer that arrived should have taken notes time of arrival, what he visually saw, very detailed. if the guy goes to the hospital determine who is making the trip, unless you have a specific transportation units that do that, you should plan on it, as your situation look like it’s going to go on a transport..know who your qualified officers are, and if they are current with qualified weapons cards, drivers license, and know how to transport an inmate to a hospital in public, in restraints…and they know how to restrain an inmate (full restraints) leg irons, and belly chains…and your officers know how to care for their weapon when with an inmate…whether you will have a chase vehicle, and the other officer rides in the ambulance…policy regarding your weapon..do you have your weapon on you or will your partner have it in a gun box, and when you arrive, your partner guns up at that time..good luck
azCOII

Male user rpd551 2 posts

I am currently putting together a course to teach Jail Officers how to respond to crime scenes within a jail setting. I would appriciate if anybody is interested, any reference material or your dept. policy on incident scene response. Thanks.

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015