>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    

Is your agency ready for PREA?

Subscribe to Is your agency ready for PREA? 7 posts, 5 voices

Login to reply

Male user Squeeze 70 posts

I agree with you on that. I’m not sure what the standard is for the diagnosis but what my years of experience watching correctional staff/officers self destruct lends me to believe that the rate would be closer to 40-50%. Interestingly I didn’t retire because of one aspect of retirement is health, 6 out of the last 17 people who retired from our facility are dead now, that scares me that doesn’t happen often!! I have 1 out of my 6 kids still at home and she needs me there for her.

Getty rf photo of cat and praying mantis Campi 227 posts

I think those numbers are low on that study.

Male user Squeeze 70 posts

Nebraska as well as other states now have laws directly affecting this issue. As the inmates caregivers we have all the power the lawmakers say so we are responsible not the inmates. In NE it is a felony for any staff member to become involved with inmates other than the scope of their employment. It makes sense to me after what i have experience since 1881.Even when an accusation is determined to be unfounded the staff member will always still be suspect. No wonder 13% of Correctional Officers/staff suffer from some level of PTSD (Canadian study).

Flag1 1 shakeyjake 112 posts

This just came to me. How is it that when an inmate tries to establish a relationship with a staff member, they get a ticket and put in seg but if they actually get past trying and do have a relationship with a staff member, they now become a victim?

Male user brinley45cal 2 posts

we just had a big class on prea last week

Getty rf photo of cat and praying mantis Campi 227 posts

We wouldn’t need it if we just turned them into unics.

Ao NCTI 1 7 posts

You know it’s coming! Let the National Curriculum and Training Institute (NCTI) assist you.

Preventing Sexual Misconduct Against Offenders: From NCTI In Partnership With the American Probation and Parole Association (APPA).

The standards adopted by the Department of Justice (DOJ) relating to the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) will require criminal justice agencies to provide extensive training to staff, volunteers, and auxiliary personnel. This applies to all criminal justice agencies housing juvenile and adult offenders, including adult and juvenile probation residential facilities, parole and community corrrections facilities, lockups, jails, and prison agencies. Additionally the new standards will require agencies to adopt policies regarding zero tolerance, incident investigations, appropriate screening, and more.

NCTI’s Preventing Sexual Misconduct Against Offenders Workshop and Facilitator Certification Training address the staff training standards adopted by the Department of Justice, and provides agencies with prevention and identification strategies to reduce incidences of sexual misconduct.

Agency and Staff Benefits
•Awareness and prevention of sexual misconduct against offenders
•Reduction of agency and staff liability
•Reduction in negligence by providing training accredited by the American Probation and Parole Association in the area of PREA
•Compliance with the Department of Justice (DOJ) training standards
•Identification of other DOJ PREA training standards for policy and procedure revision.
•Address failure to train issues

Contact Jeff Koenig, National Sales Representative (800) 622-1644.
preatraining.org
ncti.org

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015