>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    

Career in Corrections

Subscribe to Career in Corrections 6 posts, 5 voices

Login to reply

Male user jmartin 10 posts

Been in for 22 years and love it. Never the same thing everyday. It definitely exposes you to the worst of the human condition on a regualr basis, so learn early not to take it home with you.

Male user vanslam 2 posts

Thanks to all for the good advice! Keep it coming!

Thanks

Riot helmet Mick 307 posts

Many moons (too many now) ago when I was in the academy one of my instructors told us that are three types of people that join the Job. 1st are those that are born to it. These are the one’s that fit right in from the start and stay to the very end. 2nd are those that grow into the Job. These are the one who that are good at the job but at the start are not quite sure the job is for them but then settle down to a fulfilling career. 3rd are realise very quickly that the Job is not for them and never stay long. Until you try the Job you will not know into which category you fit. My advice give it a try. You could be like me and many of the folks here and love every minute of it.

Buckeye flag Mudflap 293 posts

It would be good experience no matter what career you end up in, and you might even like it. Go for it.

Small 986654 maniac 12 posts

No, it’s not a bad job. It’s not for everyone that decided to take it. I cant tell you how many times i’ve heard about people that go through the training and in less than 6 months to a year are gone. It’s crazy. And of those that do stay, they all pretty much say the same thing. " I needed a job." And that includes me.

It’s a easy/tough job. It’s as tough as you want to make it, and it’s as easy as you want to make it.
I work at a maximum security prison, and I wouldnt want to work in a lower level facility. It’s great.

So, if you’re up to working with smart-assed individuals who are always thinking and acting like their owed something and, are always bitching and moaning about not getting something, remember this. THere are inmates there too, Just kidding.

Its a fun job, and good luck getting it. Give it a year , and then decided if you’re going to stick with it. Thats what I did about 5-6 years ago.

Male user vanslam 2 posts

Is being a Correctional Officer really a bad job???The reason I ask is they are always hiring Correctional Officers here in Juneau Alaska and when I went to the job fair a couple weeks ago I looked into it. Pay and bennies are good. You work one week on one week off. I wouldn’t want to do it forever but I thought it might be a start into police work, which is what I would like to do. I have a friend who is a State Trooper in Oregon and he told me once that he believes everyone should work in correction once before becoming a cop. It would be at a prison here in Juneau not a jail.

From what i hear you either love it or hate it. What say you?

Thanks

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015