>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    

Don't call me a jailer...

Subscribe to Don't call me a jailer... 6 posts, 4 voices

Login to reply

Correction officer jamestown0509 313 posts

I have always thought that before you become a police officer, Deputy Sheriff, Trooper that you should be required to work in a jail for at least 6 months just to learn what happens when LE drop off a ticked off prisoner they just arraigned who is a jerk, drunk or a smart ass juvenile. Maybe if they had to book them in, print them, change them to jail clothes, assign them to a cell block, feed them, take them to court, take them to visits, take them to the doctor, take them to rec and everything else COs do they would appreciate our end of law enforcement.

Female user sharon 1 post

Just wanted to say that I am a Deputy Jailer. To those who think that a jailer has it easy they are wrong. We are babysitters, psychiatrists, nurses, mediators, teachers, disciplinarians, etc. We do many jobs, but only get paid for one of them. We don’t work for the Department of Corrections, but still our jobs are very similar. We are both overworked, underpaid, get very little thanks for a job well done and we both just want to be able to go home safe at the end of the day.

Male user Canusxiii 116 posts

I hear mostly “Oh you are just a prison guard”. Wish my job was the easy .Is more liked being a truant officer,mediator,“cop on the beat”,being called that when I make my rounds before lockout.Last but not least,first responder,we don’t had a doctor or nurse on call third shift,budget cuts……..The uninformed public ,I am in NJ has a low opinion on the job with do.
Only time when they hear about us in the papers is when one of us gets arrested.

Yes that annoys me too…

Riot helmet Mick 307 posts

Another one the Media use is Prison Guard.

Probably one of the worst terms in my 22 years in corrections was hearing an inmate say “jailer.” They were immediately corrected by saying you can call me CO, Correction Officer or Officer Osterstuck, I am NOT a jailer.
This seems to be a common term when newspapers and the press talks about corrections officers and for my prospective every time I see that I will write to that paper or TV station that said that and correct them.

We are professionals, let’s get some respect.

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015