>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    

Prison or reform

Subscribe to Prison or reform 9 posts, 6 voices

Login to reply

Asianladysba recovery con... 1 post

As a female former inmate, and drug abuser, I took years to realize what kind of person I was after my kids (ages 4 and 7) just asked to "get their “old” mommy back" This broke my heart…AND my stubbornness.
Many will choose prison over rehab, maybe because it doesn’t require effort? perhaps the lifestyle of being incarcerated is familiar and comfortable, yes, there may be a smaller number who want help, but we should be focused on education and letting them know that there are so many rewards in getting clean.
Asking friends or family members to help out who have experienced rehab can be rewarding as well.

Remle riflepg irish assassin 286 posts

It’s impossible to rehab or reform anyone unless “THEY” want to. No if’s and’s or but’s, no amount of programing or singing campfire songs on the round carpet is going to change that. Trying to get someone to see they need help or giving it to them when they actually accept it is one thing. But if a person doesn’t want to change then they never will. Sorry but thats the cold hard truth. Just like an unruly kid, they might show you what you want to see but soon as your back is turned it’s business as usual. The sadly smaller number of the ones who want help and change are the ones who should be focused on.

Correction officer jamestown0509 313 posts

We all know you can’t rehab a drug addict or an alcoholic unless THEY are willing to cooperate and to commit to changing themselves. From my observations over the years the State Parole is sending them to “Willard Drug Treatment” (NY State) for 90 days which is supposed to have a profound effect on them. Well, unfortunately it doesn’t. I would like to have a $1.00 for every parole violator (PV) who came before the board on a violation after repeating Willard drug treatment more than two times. I do think rehab is a good thing to do provided the person is willing and able to change themselves for good, not just going through the motions. As one of you said in your post, “how do they feed their families with no income?” Poor cooping skills when these former inmates are released in the general public which repeats the cycle again, arrest, conviction and incarceration.

Untitled Slim 57 posts

I remember back in the mid nighties here there was a referendum on the ballot which passed. It required all non violent drug offenders to go to a state payed for drug rehab instead of prison. It also required that inmates in the prison system with prior drug or alcohol convictions would have to go to mandatory drug counseling within the prison, and then parole to a sort of halfway house for further treatment. This requirement was a one time only deal.

The Do-Gooders swore that this was the way to get these poor people out of the prison system and get them the help they need to become productive citizens again. They were partially right.

As the prisons began to dramatically decrease it’s inmate population, the Do-Gooders, and then of course the politicians, started to brag about what a success their plan had been. Criminals were being cleaned up and rehabilitated. The prisons were no longer overcrowded. The only problem? The criminals were only going to rehab because they had too. They were not there to be rehabilitated.

Within 3 to 4 years the prison population was back to it’s original population, and then increased even more. The criminals had already gone through and failed the drug programs, and then returned to their life of crime. A few years ago the federal government took over the medical department of corrections due to what they said was cruel and unusual treatment from overcrowding. Last year our Governor, the all time top Do-Gooder ever, decided that the best way to deal with the problem is to simply stop putting any non violent criminal in prison ever. They would be left to the counties to deal with. He also got rid of the parole department. The counties of course don’t have the money or jail cells to handle these people, and are booking and then releasing them.

Our prison population has indeed gone down, we are saving money for the state, and those poor inmates are no longer suffering from cruel and unusual punishment. All it cost us was a surge in our crime rates, and a little more work for our police force to arrest and rearrest the same people all the time.

I just wonder how long before someone who should have been in jail commits some horrible crime, and then all the Do-Gooders and politicians will be screraming about how this could have happened?

Male user Canusxiii 116 posts

Is good to hear about you’re friend’s drug program in Ohio Commander.First time non-violent drug offenders should be given the opportunity to clean up their lives with one stipulation,you don’t want to make the effort them……..jail or prison.The offender has to make the attempt;"Old saying,you can lead a horse to water but eventually the horse has to lead itself to the water.
Slim you are right,they should be given some type of support before they return to the street,but eventually is up to them.Rehab should not be a revolving door.They pretend they clean up their act ,and not long after they are realized into society they go back to their old ways.Drugs.
Drug treatment programs are important and these offenders,the ones that are not serious about the rehab should not be given another NOT GO TO PRISON CARD…..is up to them.

Male user commander 277 posts

I agree with both. I think first time non violent offender who commit crimes while under the influence should go to a mandatory treatment program that they have to pay for by performing mandatory community service. If arrested and convicted again of any crime violent or non violent, they should have to go to jail or prison, whatever is appropriate. To continue to have them seek treatment or mandate treatment versus going to prison is not only costly (continued crime) but it is a waste of time and resources to be better used for the person who wants help. In my hometown in Ohio, my friend who is a Municiple Court Judge has a drug program. This program is for first offenders of non violent crime. They take a urine test every week, go to court every Thursday and have to tell what they did the past week, completed community service and find a job. Any violations of the above and they are picked up and put in jail to serve their sentence. Seems to be working out great. My friend has been recognized by the state of Ohio and has recieved grants for this program. It is very nice to see someone holding people accountable. As you may have noticed this program is for first time non violent offenders. They are counseled and coached and assigned a mentor. Everything possible is done to assist them in trying to go straight. Several business’ and churches assist to get them a job. So all the right things are being done. It is up to them to change.

Untitled Slim 57 posts

I think the so-called non violent drug offender should be given one chance to go to some type of rehabilitaion program as long as they are required to complete the program, and are given some sort of support to return to a productive life. Unfortunately, at least here in California, these offenders are simply released back into society to commit more crimes. There is no accountability, and most are aksed to go to some sort of out patient type of program in thier community that they never go to. At some point when a person commits multiple “non violent” crimes, they need to pay the piper.

I would also like to add that in my years in corrections I’ve noticed that most non violent offenders have either commited violent offences in the past, or go on to do so in the future. How do people think that a person with no job pays for the drugs they consume as a non violent offender? They either sell the drugs to others, or they steal or commit other crimes to support thier habbit. Most criminals have commited many crimes before they are arrested for something.

Male user Canusxiii 116 posts

Rewarded nope.Counseling free of charge nope.If there are no restraints,rules,or limits on these so called non-violent drug offenders.A cycle of drug use until they die or eventually turn to violent to supply their habits.The whiners are missing something here!

These so call non-violent drug offenders should have one choice treatment or prison……

Male user commander 277 posts

On the 12 hour shift forum someone calling themself “Prison etc” keeps whining about how we should not lock up nonviolent offenders who have drug problems. So to put this into perspective, I am started a new forum. Do you feel a person who chooses to be a loser and strain on society should be rewarded and go to counseling free of charge and given money or do you feel they should be convicted of the crime and sentenced to whatever prison term a Judge deems to fit the crime?

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015