>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    

Informational Interview

Subscribe to Informational Interview 14 posts, 9 voices

Login to reply

Male user mattelijah 3 posts

I have to interview a criminal justice professional for a presentation I will be doing in two days. Would any of you fine professionals want to answer a short set of questions that I created for my Criminal Law class? Thank you so much. My email is matt_e_lijah@hotmail.com. We can do it over this Site, email, or phone. Please consider. Thank you, again.

Flag shakey 191 posts

I like your way of thinking Sarge.

Female user Sarge 9 posts

I hired in 22.5 years ago with a HS diploma. I now have a dual Associates in Corrections and a BS in Business Admin. Neither have helped me advance; I did that before I started college. Remember, unless you make a lifetime career in Corrections, a degree in CJ will not help when you decide to move into another line of work, unless it is law enforcement. Expand your horizons before making CJ your life. I was 35 when hired and will be 66 when I retire after 30 years. I intend to enjoy my retirement with a drink in one hand and a book in the other while lying on a warm beach, not looking for another career.

Male user Alex 16 posts

Well said bbrown!

Male user bbrown 1 post

I was in the field for about 30 years before retiring. I always liked my jobs even though I was promoted several times and therefore moved around the state. When hiring new people I always looked for the right attitude since we could teach new hires the skills they need. The right attitude consists of both the ability to give orders and the ability to take orders. You must be firm, fair and consistant. I agree that college degrees are needed for promotions but can also be helpful when entering the field. Military experience is also very helpful. Good officers do take pride in their work without a doubt. You can’t be hard hearted but also can’t show too much compassion because inmates often mistake kindness for weakness. You won’t make the rules, just enforce them so you have to live with the rules in existance. You have to have common sense and the ability to see through the inmates’ antics. You will be tried to see if they can bamboozle you and you have to see through their efforts. You have to know you’re making a difference in their lives but also have to know you can’t make a difference in everyone’s lives – just some. You often don’t know when you are making a difference but the failures return time and time again. I hope this helps you a little.

Flag shakey 191 posts

2 cents time: I’ll have 19 years in the system in about 2 weeks, so I can tell you a thing or two, about a thing or two, myself. You must also remember that what I can tell you might differ from others and most likely will. As for schooling, yes it will help but only a High School/GED is needed to become a corrections officer (in Ohio) but it would indeed help if looking for promotional opportunities. I’ll be the one to correct you here about the longevity of our job in corrections, as we work as a public servant our jobs are tied into the economy, good times no worries, bad ones, well then you’re looking at cut backs, lost posts, lost benefits, no pay raises and possible privatization and so on. So yes, we need prisons it’s just that privately companies may be the ones running them. As for the question about how we feel about our jobs, well that one is a personal one, some love them, some hate them and for each there is a valid reason for their choice, may not be a sound choice but there is a reason and yours will be up to you. I think most love their job for the first couple of years, not to say you’ll change your tune at that time but that’s when most changes start if there is any.

Some officers only work for a few weeks because they thought it would be a great job (in their head) and moved on. There is no shame in that and you would be a foul to work here if you hate this job, because then you’ll put not only yourself but your fellow officers at risk.

Remember this is just my 2 cents worth, nothing more, good luck.

Oh and Irish this was my sane side ……I ..?…never mind.

Male user traz 2 posts

Thanks Campi, I appreciate your honesty about the job. Some of the things you said are already reasons why I may decide to do this. The coping w/stress, and NOT taking things personal,willing to learn and picking up on “out of the norm”. I’m sure “out of the norm” is very different IN the system as compared to OUT.
Can I ask how long you have been in corrections and if you attended school to get into this field? I am considering going to school in spring (maybe sooner) for criminal justice. Correct me if im wrong, but I see this as a job that will not disappear anytime soon, but continue to grow larger with time.
I was also wondering how you may feel about what your job, do you take any pride in your job? Do you feel that you are making a difference in anyway? I believe you should, but I was wondering how someone felt that had actually been in this field for a while.
Thanks for your time…..traz

Riot helmet Mick 307 posts

Hate working nights. Give me days anytime.

Remle riflepg irish assassin 286 posts

To each their own. Some of us love working third, I’m just not one of them.

Flag shakey 191 posts

been on it for 10 years now.

Remle riflepg irish assassin 286 posts

not for all Campi. I can’t stand working third shift. It goes by way to slowly for me.

Getty rf photo of cat and praying mantis Campi 227 posts

I forgot Get to third shift as fast as you can. It is the best kept secret in corrections.

Getty rf photo of cat and praying mantis Campi 227 posts

First off my advice is leave this field until you have no other options. I got into it because it was a family thing. I was told of great retiement and by the time mine rolls around it probally will not be anything close to what it was like when I hired in. The hours are going to suck when you start on second shift and manditory over time given in 8 hour shifts will not make for good family life. If you like to party and want good money that is legit the overitme will help you pay off debts fast. Skills you will need is copeing with stress and not taking anything personal. You have to leave your job at the time clock or you will die young. You have to be willing to learn and be good at watching and picking up on anything out of the norm. You must first learn what is normal to do so. The best thing to do is simply hire in and try it out. If you do not think the job is for you quit and move on. This job is not for everyone and even if your normal coming in the prison system will warp you.

Male user traz 2 posts

I was wondering if anyone here would allow me to conduct an e-mail or forum style interview (here) with them about entering this field. I have a some basic questions that i need to ask for an entrance application through the ohio services commission. I’m looking for an active corrections officer or probation department employee to interview. Basic questions, ( how you started, skills needed, future changes in your field ). If anyone would be willing to chat about this, please post back… thanks

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015