>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    

Eliminating Jail Odors--Really?

Subscribe to Eliminating Jail Odors--Really? 21 posts, 8 voices

Login to reply

Correction officer jamestown0509 313 posts

From my observations inmates in the blocks will take a shower because other inmates make them. Problem is they put back on dirty filthy socks and shorts then wonder why COs say it smells. We also had an inmate come in one time with both of his legs black from the knees to his feet. He was a white person so I asked him why he was so dirty. He told me that he was a hermit, had no place to live. We encouraged him to take a real shower with plenty of soap. Phew….

Horn toad Transporter 41 posts

lol You guys have some great comments! I learn alot from this website.

We like to say that our facility always smells like feet and…well…let’s just say butts for the sake of being nice. lol

The PODS have their own washer and dryer (commercial sized) so the inmates wash all clothes in the POD on a rotating schedule. There is a porter who is assigned by the CO to wash everyone’s clothes, then on weekends sheets, towels and blankets. In the linear section of the jail the inmates must clean their cells and blocks first thing in the morning. If no one gets up to clean the block, sweep and mop we usually do a couple of things for incentive. First the phone is turned off, then the TV is turned off and removed from the block, then everyone locks in their cells until the cleaning is done. More often than not when you take the TV someone gets up to clean.

Remle riflepg irish assassin 286 posts

Trust me I’d love it if I could go to work and not have my nosehair burnt out by what almost balances out to be low grade biological weapons. I just think its sad that instead of least trying to reduce the problem, most admin staff would rather just not deal with it. Bet if their office was smelling like crap everyday it would get fixed in a hurry.

Getty rf photo of cat and praying mantis Campi 227 posts

jamestown I wished our institution ran as smoothly as that. When we issue discipline it is done on a conduct report then the sergeant deals out punishment. Due to the fact that most of them hate paper work they end up just dismissing most tickets with warnings. So having a ridged outline for cleanliness and then the consequences for it are wishy washy at best here (Pun intended). I would love to implement that sort of plan here maybe I can suggest your outline I rather like it. Though if they had washer machines in the units that surely would help.

Absolutely right Irish. It’s the socks and shorts that smell. Similar to when we were in high school after gym the towels always smelled rotten but the smell in the jail is something a new CO has to inhale to remember.

Hell… a turd rolled in state soap would be a step up from what the norm is here. This is closer to a dirty foot wrapped up in a sweaty jock that ran over a turd covered floor on a 100 degree day.

While it really might be possible to make a dent in this problem, it would require everyone to work together. Sadly thats not very likely where I work.

Male user commander 277 posts

Used to ride bulls in my younger years. Kind of grew fond of the smell. LOL

Barb wire oldschool 1 post

You could be lucky like us and have dairies all around you. You then have the wonderful smell of cows and all the big smells that come with them…

Campi in our Pods we have required daily cleaning of every cell by both inmates who are assigned to the cells. The walls, ceilings, floors, desks, beds have to be cleaned. All beds have to be made each day. TVs must be shut off when inmates leave the room. COs do random cell checks on both day and afternoon shifts. If a room is dirty the inmates get a demerit. The demerit system works quite well. 8 demerits the inmate is removed from the Pod not to return for at least 4 months or longer. 3 demerits in a week or 5 in a month the inmate is on probation subject to removal from the Pod. Failure to obey orders of a CO is automatic removal from the Pod regardless how long they have been there.

Commander the CD was very disturbing and informative at the same time. I will send it back soon. Thanks.

Getty rf photo of cat and praying mantis Campi 227 posts

I disagree. One can get a pod smelling less like a turd rolled in state soap or as I like to call it poap. It really takes The pod officer making the porters work every day and then cracking down on the inmates that choose to urinate on the walls and not wipe after crapping. Also there is the whole thing of enforcing some sort of bathing and cleaning of their bed areas. I found locking up all the inmates possessions in the C.O. closet and informing them they will go to seg unless they bath and clean their area tends to make them less afraid of the water. Though this will by no means fix the issue at least where you work will not smell like a dump.

Jamestown, not meaning to change the subject but, what did you think of the photos?

Of course there is always the smell of pepper spray to clean out your nostrils…the smells of the jail go away for two hours or more…

I think the tropical one would be really nice. Who could be in a bad mood with the light hint of pina colada wafting through the air.

Well Mick, Irish did have a very good suggestion. Nothing like febreeze and turds at 3am.

Riot helmet Mick 307 posts

It makes me laugh. Who ever thought that one up has no clue about prisons

Maybe if we just sprayed down everything daily with fabreeze it would go from smelling like turds to turds and fabric softener.

I have personally seen Inmates drink from the toilet and eat a turd while I watched. I have seen them spread feces from head to toe. I have seen many an Inmate on the toilet, eating food and crapping. So Jamestown, you are right again. There is no way short of Nuken’ that will rid a jail or prison of the odors.

Male user Canusxiii 116 posts

Wow…..I seing them used the toilet to store their goods…….milk,weapons,or cell phones… Eliminate prison odor wow.

Every-time I think that on one of my Linked-in Groups some goofball says something that is impossible, implausible or stupid I comment back to them. This is a prime example of stupidity. Get real people.

MY REPLY:

“jamestown0509 on 06/02/2012:
You CANNOT eliminate odors in any jail or prison regardless how many times you clean the blocks, clean the bars or the floors. If you were a correction officer you would know the problem is the inmates, not the facility. Inmates come from all walks of life and many of them are not clean when they come into a facility. You can make them shower but the problem is the clothing they wear stinks. I have seen inmates wear shorts for weeks and not wash them, the same with socks.”

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015